Every year, for the last 11, Beloit (WI) College has published the College Mindset List, a list of pop culture and society references that relate to the incoming college freshman class. This year’s college freshman were born in 1990, a time with headlines similar to today, according to the list makers, of rising fuel prices affecting the airline industry, trouble at America’s big three car makers and a President named Bush increasing troops in the Middle East.
Here’s the first ten items:
1. Harry Potter could be a classmate, playing on their Quidditch team.
2. Since they were in diapers, karaoke machines have been annoying people at parties.
3. They have always been looking for Carmen Sandiego.
4. GPS satellite navigation systems have always been available.
5. Coke and Pepsi have always used recycled plastic bottles.
6. Shampoo and conditioner have always been available in the same bottle.
7. Gas stations have never fixed flats, but most serve cappuccino.
8. Their parents may have dropped them in shock when they heard George Bush announce “tax revenue increases.”
9. Electronic filing of tax returns has always been an option.
10. Girls in head scarves have always been part of the school fashion.